RSK is actively involved in the Barakah nuclear power plant project in the United Arab Emirates. The power station will be the first nuclear energy facility on the Arabian Peninsula, and the first commercial nuclear power station in the region. The nuclear reactors should be operational by 2020 producing 5600 MW of power.
The Korean-led consortium of KEPCO, Korea’s main electric company, and Hyundai–Samsung Joint Venture hired RSK to undertake four biannual third-party environmental audits to assess compliance with the construction elements of the project, as required by the Environment Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD). RSK’s objectives were to
- assess compliance of environmental management documentation with the project’s requirements
- assess on-site compliance of environmental management implementation with the project’s requirements
- produce the biannual third-party audit reports for the EAD
- verify close out of non-conformances that were raised in previous internal and external audit reports
- document an impartial, independent, accurate and detailed record of the environmental performance of the project.
We completed our programme of work over 19 months without delay and on budget.